PharmaIN Development History
- PGC developed as an imaging agentPharmaIN’s technology began as an imaging agent at Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School. The goal was to find a harmless carrier to take imaging molecules through the bodies vasculature and potentially accumulate at areas of inflammation.
- PharmaIN created to make PGC a drug delivery vehicle
PharmaIN was created with the vision of using this type of technology to carry therapeutic drugs instead. For over a decade, PharmaIN’s scientists modified, tweaked and improved on this Protected Graft Copolymer (PGC).
- Peptides: the ideal API for PGC, safe and effective but short 1/2 lifeThe API family that needed protection from proteas and needed a slow release mechanism was clearly peptides. Peptides have a wide range of potential biological activity, making them attractive drug candidates, but they have very short in vivo half-lives. Peptides are recognized for being highly selective and efficacious and, at the same time, relatively safe and well tolerated.
- PeptiLINK developed to modify Peptides for better binding, potency and IP protectionPeptides bind non-covalently to PGC and are released unmodified at a rate to maintain an equilibrium between free API molecules and empty PGC sites. However the attraction varies by peptide and some effective therapeutic peptides released faster that the optimum rate for efficacy. To solve this, PharmaIN developed our PeptiLink technology to link a cleavable ligand to the peptide that would bind tightly to PGC and improve PK/PD when desired.
- Create proprietary Peptides with PeptiLINK and combine with PGC for SQ therapyThe PeptiLink derivatives further enhance the value of the Peptide/PGC drug and enable once a day or longer SQ administration to APIs that could previously only be used in an IV that limited the patient treatment to hospitalization.
- Partnering with Shionogi for 1st PharmaIN product
PharmaIN develops its own drug products but we also aid partners to make their peptides into viable and valuable therapies. Unlike PEGylation and conjugation alternatives, PGC is fast and easy to test with a peptide for enhanced PK/PD. As the peptide is in its original native form when therapeutically active, there are no surprises from previous research with IV administration.